Can a guitar sound better than when it was new?
This may sound like a ridiculous question but the surprising answer is ‘Yes, it can!’.
From the new guitar’s manufacturing process to its initial storage in a box in a warehouse or propped up in your local music shop, there are many factors against it sounding and playing perfectly from the first strike of a chord.
Should I have a new guitar setup?
From beginners to proficient players, all will struggle if their new guitar or bass is not set up correctly. J Davey Guitars will evaluate all work to be carried out before beginning the setup; always with your budget in mind. Setups start at £60 plus new strings.
Guitar set ups will normally include:
- Look for loose frets and repair
- Fret dress – an additional charge may be added for this. The customer will be told beforehand
- Polish frets
- Neck relief adjustment
- Adjust nut slots and lubricate if required
- Clean and lubricate the bridge
- Tremolo action adjusted to customer’s preferences
- Check and adjust bridge saddles
- Bridge height setting
- Adjust pickup height
- Tighten any loose screws
- Lemon-oil rosewood fret board
- Switches and pots treated with contact cleaner
- Clean and polish
- New strings fitted
No two guitars or musicians are the same so a correctly set up instrument is essential.
I treat every guitar as though it was my own – your complete satisfaction with my work is guaranteed.